Kensington Gardens was originally a part of Hyde Park and now covers 260 acres of space. Queen Mary II bought Nottingham House in 1689 for her husband, King William III. William made the location his home, as he suffered from asthma and found the air clean and area peaceful. Queen Caroline later created the Serpentine and the Long Water to separate Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park in 1728. The Gardens were closed to the public until the late 18th century when only those in respectable dress could enter.
When Barrie met the Llewelyn Davies brothers, Kensington Gardens had a rustic atmosphere about it, such as sheep grazing on its lawns. Barrie would walk his dog, Porthos, in Kensington Gardens and entertain children. Barrie’s original story of Peter Pan took place in Kensington Gardens, and a statue of Peter Pan can be found in the Gardens today. Barrie was later given a key to the gate of the Gardens to enter at any time and though he swore to never misuse the privilege, had the statue placed in the gardens one night without official consent.